PHI 445 Personal & Organizational Ethics Week 1 Discussion
After reviewing Chapter 1 in your textbook and watching “Virtue Ethics,” find a contemporary article showing how the theory of psychological egoism in a corporation resulted in an ethical dilemma.
- Is there a way that the decision-making process within a large corporation can overcome this fact of human selfishness?
- What would be a solution in this scenario?
- How does the theory of psychological egoism fit within your personal body of ethics and values?
- How does the theory of psychological egoism fit within the ethical structure of the company or organization you work for now or have worked for in the past?
|Self-Interest or Community Interest|
As read in Chapter 2 of the course text, Adam Smith argued that self-interest is a critical element in a society’s economic development. Karl Marx, by contrast, argued that society functions better when each of us is more community oriented.
Pretend you are either Adam Smith or Karl Marx, and explain economic recession from these perspectives.
- Discuss when greed and selfishness in businesses go too far and become a hazard to society.
- Stepping back into your shoes again, contrast your system of values and ethics concerning greed and self-interest with the system of values of Smith or Marx.
- Discuss if the ethical perspective of a particular group to which you currently belong, or previously belonged resembles the perspective of Adam Smith or Karl Marx?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7.