PPA 605 Negotiation Bargaining & Conflict Management Week 6 Discussion
|Closing the Deal|
Discuss two the following statements then respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings. Try to respond to students who picked different statements.
- Describe the Five Negotiation Skills in Closing the Deal and indicate how you would, or have used them in an actual bargaining and negotiation situation specifying the issues, actors, and outcomes.
- Explain the purpose of an agreement template and why a written agreement best serves to generate commitment to the agreement.
- Discuss why silence can be an effective response to a request for a last-minute concession and when the nickel-and-diming approach can be utilized most effectively.
- Discuss the emotional issues that may cause stalemates; sources of conflict spirals; psychological entrapments; difficulties in managing ideologically-based conflicts; and why sequential decision-making processes are helpful in resolving decision-making conflicts.
Settling a Lawsuit
Review the Learning Exercise: Settling a Lawsuit in Chapter 8, page 218 of your text. Discuss two of the following statements then respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings. Try to respond to students who picked different statements.
- Discuss the ethical values you would use in this negotiation and the criteria you would use to make decisions.
- Discuss how you would determine whether the negotiation is conducted with substantive fairness.
- Identify what concealment behaviors would be ethical and unethical in this negotiation.
- Describe the manner in which you would determine if you are using fair procedures and creating trust in this negotiation case.
The Influences of Culture and Gender on Negotiations
Discuss two of the following statement. Assume the role of one of the five parties in the GLOBE Project Study case as you form your answers. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
- Select two of the dimensions of culture, identified by either Hofstede or the GLOBE Project Study, and discuss how best to negotiate a deal favorable to an organization’s relationship in an Eastern European and an Asian country.
- Select two clusters from the GLOBE Project Study groups and describe how the history and traditions of those countries’ clusters are reflected in their cultural dimensions. Indicate how this information can help you in the negotiation process.
- Explain why in Cross-Cultural Negotiations, the heuristic of availability is a culturally significant bias in a negotiation to sell a computer in a highly feminine society.
- Discuss the differences between promotion focus, prevention focus and shadow negotiation, and which type is a negotiator from a collectivist society more likely to have, and why?